Friday, July 4, 2014

I'm Kinda Betty Crocker: Coffee Creamer & Protein Balls

It's been raining a lot in Iowa lately.  And after a winter like the one we had, I'm not exactly happy about it.  Typically, I'm the type that loves the rain.  But, I feel like I've been stuck indoors for the greater part of the last 10 months and I want some fresh air, sunshine and a TAN.  Yes, a freaking tan would make me extremely happy right now.  Since complaining about the weather is probably one of the most annoying things someone can do, I will stop and move onto something positive about being stuck indoors all.of.the.time:

Plenty of time to be in the kitchen!  I've been baking up a storm this past week.  I actually perfected a ridiculously healthy lactation/brewers yeast bar that trumps my previous recipe: I'll be sharing that soon.  

Today I'm sharing with you two recipes: one for homemade coffee creamer and one for protein balls: a staple in my household.

Why make coffee creamer when you can just buy the ridiculously delicious stuff from the grocery store?  Well, unlike the stuff at the store: when you make creamer yourself- you have CONTROL over the type of ingredients you are putting into your body.  There isn't a plethora of additonal additives and dyes, all the stuff that your body doesn't need.  This recipe would work well a million ways, and I plan on experimenting more in the future with it and other flavors: I will report back to you on my progress.  But, trust me: you won't feel like a Fatty McFatterson dumping a half cup couple tablespoons of this into your coffee.  It's creamy, light and honestly, costs way freaking less then the stuff at the grocery store.


:Recipe:
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Cup Milk 
(I used unsweetened Almond Milk but you can use whatever you'd prefer)
2 tsp. Stevia
2 TBSP. Pure Vanilla Extract
:Directions:
Gently mix together all ingredients and pour into a container of your choice and keep stored in the refrigerator.
:Optional:
Add 1 tsp. Cinnamon (I used this and it's awesome)
or
Sub heavy cream for sweet condensed milk (will make a creamier consistency but will not be naturally sweetened)
---

Now, these protein balls taste like cookies I tell ya.  They are amaze-balls.  (Get it?  Amazeballs because PROTEIN BALLS.  GET IT?  Get it?!)  Anyway, this recipe is super easy and no bake: so you don't have to turn your oven on and get your house all toasty (for those of you who are actually experiencing summer weather that this would even be a concern of yours.)  I have to usually make a double batch or make this 2-3 times a week because my family goes through them so quickly.  Depending on the size you roll, this recipe yields about 25-30 balls when about 1 inch in diameter.

:Ingredients:
1 Cup Natural Peanut Butter
3/4-1 Cup Local Honey
3 Scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Cup Rolled Oats
1 Cup Sliced Almonds
3/4 Cup Dried Fruit*

:Directions:
In a saucepan, melt together peanut butter and honey.
Add all dry ingredients and mix well.
Roll into 1 inch balls.
Store in refrigerator.

*In this batch I used 2/4 cup of craisins + 1/4 cup of diced, dried apricots.  Chocolate chips would also work well in this recipe.

---

Welp, hope you guys like the recipes and have a GREAT Fourth of July Weekend!  

2 comments:

  1. Those both sound awesome--going to give them a try! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I'll have to try those protein balls for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Love to read what you have to say! Keep the comments coming!