Wednesday, December 31, 2014

"Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us." -Hal Borland


I feel akin to remark on how quickly the year has passed, but it seems to be something I now say almost constantly (since becoming a mother, anyway).  But, in all actuality: WOW.  2014 BASICALLY DIDN'T HAPPEN OR I WAS ASLEEP 90% OF THE TIME OR SOMETHING. (Could also have something to do with having a baby in May? Maybe? Ha.)

In the spirit of reflection, I must comment on the unprecedented strangeness of 2014: so many highs and lows. Our family brought in a new member: Maggie truly is this beautiful little blessing-- her face just melts my heart and as challenging as babies can be (and raising children in general): I love this responsibility.  I have the added bonus of living life through the eyes of children: it is incredible.

While this year was filled with much joy for our family, I watched a lot of people I care about face some truly terrible circumstances.  I've been blown away by the strength, perseverance and vulnerability of those around me.

All in all: I'd say the word that best represents 2014 is GROWTH.  Whether growth as in the literal form or spiritually, emotionally, professionally speaking: it's all around us and this past year.  So even in the murky grossness: we are all for the better.

I like to take time to goal set at the beginning of each year: I'm a very disorganized, scatterbrain so this help give me focus.

One of the biggest things I'd like to tackle this year is LIVING WITH LESS.  I plan on writing more about my issues this coming year: but my goal is to BREAK from this consumerism driven society and pave my own way.  For the most part, I'm not very materialistic.  We *rent* a very small, modest house with a large back yard, half of our furniture has been thrifted or purchased from garage sales.  But still: the clutter, the useless crap: it's GOT TO GO.

Along the lines of living with less: I will CONSUME LESS this year.  I want to be hyper aware of the rate at which we are wasting valuable resources and/or being gluttonous in our consumption.

Which brings me to the number one thing I am doing this year: I REFUSE TO BUY ANY NEW CLOTHING.  My youngest child is 7 months old, and my body is still constantly changing, so I know a lot of the stuff I'm wearing now will not fit at the end of next year so I'm not saying no clothing whatsoever.  But, if I need new pants or something: hello thrift stores, my sowing machine, Plato's closet, etc.  I'm hoping to create a capsule wardrobe by the end of this that allows me to dress with more intention, and less based on trends and consumerism.

As it is, my husband is on board for this lifestyle change, which will make it all the more easier.

Any goals for you this year, my friends?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to read what you have to say! Keep the comments coming!